Atlanta finally starts to cool off in late September and the mornings become cool and crisp. However, even in October temperatures can soar into the 80's and it seems that we go straight from summer to winter without much opportunity to enjoy the transitional weather (and clothes!). I have found a solution. Well, actually my parents are the ones who have, but I have taken advantage of the situation. They are building a home in Highlands, North Carolina about 2h15 north of Atlanta, close to the GA/NC border. Temperatures are 10-20 degrees cooler in summer and fall, and a perfect retreat from the Atlanta heat, and to enjoy magnificent fall foliage!
At 4,118 feet above sea level, Highlands is a mountain town in the southern Appalachian Mountains, and a neighbor of Cashiers. Highlands was founded in 1875 and by the 1930's it had become a golfing mecca when Bobby Jones and friends founded Highlands Country Club. I have had the opportunity to play the course many times, as my parents are members. It is a beautiful course, with tight fairways, beautiful vistas and sometimes you'll even see the family of black bears between the 5th and 6th fairways!
In addition to the spectacular views around Highlands Country Club, the area boasts many hiking trails, located in The Nantahala National Forest. One of my favorites, is the easy hike up Satulah Mountain, where the summit is part of the 1909 Highlands - Cashiers Land Trust. The 1,700 acres are protected from any development for all time.
I also really enjoy the short Glen Falls hike, which is a steep trail descending to great mountain views, and zig zags along a waterfall, so you stop at the top, middle, and bottom to see different views of the cascading falls. At the bottom section, visitors are advised not to go over the railings, but because water levels were low, we sometimes break the rules and got closer to take pictures.
If we get up early enough, we'll drive towards Cashiers and do the 2.5 mile loop hike up Whiteside Mountain. It's a great way to start the day, before the mid day and afternoon crowds flood the trail. The trail leads to a ridge with magnificent views, and on a clear morning you can see many miles. As we hike the ridge, we always make sure not to get close to the edge, as the cliffs drop straight down. There are several overlooks along the trail, and sometimes we'll even see rock climbers repelling.
A couple weekends ago, I visited my parents at their temporary residence, a condo at Highlands Mountain Club. It had cooled off some in Atlanta, but reached low 30's in the mountains! We spent Saturday on the golf course, and although it was in the mid 40's, the sky was a deep blue and the sun was out. Later that afternoon we played croquet, layered in every piece of white clothing we had!
Sunday, I decided to take Franklin road out of town, to follow the Cullasaja river past the waterfalls and to explore an area of the National Forest I had not seen in a while. The road is steep at times, with hairpin turns, but a wonderful drive for those interested in following the Cullasaja river, seeing the waterfalls and enjoying fall colors Bridal Veil Falls is a small waterfall located on a curve off Franklin Road, that offers visitors the chance to walk behind the falls and stay dry. These falls are the first of a series of waterfalls on a 9 mile stretch of the road, ending in Cullasaja Falls. .
I continued north west towards Franklin and stopped a few times before getting to Dry Falls. Recently, they added a large parking lot and toilets to encourage visitors to stop and walk down to the falls. It is a little too touristy for me, but it is very family friendly and a pleasant activity for anyone who likes standing behind a waterfall and being sprayed with mist!
On my way back to Highlands, I stopped on the side of the road a few times just to step into the woods and get a closer view of the Cullasaja River. On one such exploration, I stumbled upon two fly fishermen who were waist deep in the river, having a conversation about work. They were surrounded by the changing colors of fall, in a serene place, with only the sound of cars passing on the highway, and yet they still couldn't seem to escape from their work.
My final stop that day was on the shoulder of the road, right at a sharp turn (probably not the best place to park) where sunlight bouncing off rocks and a waterfall hit my eye. I swerved off the road, jumped out of my car and climbed over several huge rocks until I found the perfect vantage point. From onlookers, it may have appeared like I was a little crazy: balancing on the edge of a boulder, halfway across the creek, switching lenses on my camera and hunched down to get the right angle. I don't care, though :-)
As I wait for the leaves on trees outside of my apartment window to loose their chlorophyll, change to yellows and reds and embrace fall, I wonder if all of the leaves have changed in Highlands. Have I missed it? Will all the leaves be gone by the next time I visit? Only time will tell. Until then, I'll be patient and wait for the cool nights and shorter days that bring Autumn colors
No comments:
Post a Comment